Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Theme of the Day-- What doesn't work...


For your reading pleasure, I am sacrificing all the bottles of pills I have in the refrigerator. These are things that did not work for me. I would do research on the web, read the books, be convinced that HERE WAS THE ANSWER, mainly because Ben was on Ritalin to go to school. It was the only way I could keep him out of the special ed classroom, which probably was a good idea as he is a brilliant little kid. That's not my pride talking...because I tended to think he was a little "simple-minded" like his ma...but his 5th grade teacher said he was a very creative writer, his 6th grade teacher of Social Studies says she thinks he is gifted. He regularly comes home with 95's an 100's on his papers in all classes but math. Can you imagine if he had been allowed to dawdle in a classroom that wasn't academically oriented? Anyhow, I hated him being on Ritalin and would have cut off my right arm to avoid it if it was possible. Things have changed a little, we'll get into that at another time.

Now, I want you to know as I list these off, that they only amount to about one-third of what I've bought through the years. I go through a regular purge every 2-3 years so I can use the side door on the refrigerator and clear off the microwave. Following each item, I'll let you know the cost, and the purported and the true benefit of the product, if there was one. Now, they may work for you. But I figure I've been had. No wonder the health food marm smiles when I come in the door...but no more!!!! Some items I've never given to Ben, as I didn't like the way they made me feel. I am always the guiana pig~

1. Coromega --Omega -3 fish oil supplement-- Pharmaceutical grade fish oil. No fish oil burps. Ben liked it, and it made his hair shiny when he took it and his skin less dry. The doctor said it was safe enough to take daily. It cost $17 for 28 days, but you can get it cheaper wholesale online. It was a little too rich for my taste, and was not an answer to replace the "vitamin R" (Ritalin), but if I had the money, I might take it anyhow. Some studies show it is good for health, and...Ben's hair was SO SHINY!!!! I'm keeping what's left of this in the fridge...

2. Stresstabs high potency multivitamins. Remember the commercial about burning the candle at both ends? That was for stresstabs. I've found them easy to take, no stomach upset. I also "feel" better with the B-vitamins that are included in amounts multiply exceeding the daily recommended requirement, yet I'd imagine still "safe" levels. I came accross research that suggested thiamine was lacking in adult alcoholics, and supplementation decreased the desire to "fall off the wagon"... I tried it for me, and the first day I felt less anxiety. I continue to take them when I think about it, not necessarily daily, but often. I've found when Ben is taking a multivitamin, he is less likely to get sick. He is allergic to grass, and when he takes vitamins regularly, he doesn't get bacterial infections along with the allergies. I keep these on hand, always...on the microwave. You know what's weird? I can be taking them before I have my period, and I will _not get cramps_!!No need to double or triple my aspirin intake! I have no idea why this is, but it's interesting! Bernie Rimland also did lot of work on vitamin B6, which is also good for autism, and rated it highly. I'll go along with him there. Works for me, works for Ben.

3. Yohimbe-- Alpha2 agonist or antagonist, something like that. Look it up if you like. Dangerous...made me feel, for a few minutes, like my head was going to pop off. Used to help men keep boners (tee-hee). Thinking of saving it for my husband....not for kids. Cost is $14.99 for 100 tabs. Alpha 2 agonists (or antagonists...can never remember) like Guanfacine have been used "third-line" for kids with ADHD. Ben is currently off Ritalin and trying out the guanfacine or Tenex, and is coming out of his shell, but more on that later. Clonodine, Guanfacine and Yohimbe are all blood pressure meds, I think. Guanfacine (prescription) costs less than the yohimbe.

4. Houston Peptizyde. Never tried them, but paid $30 bucks for a bottle. A mother who was a chemist wrote a book about it. Even though I read the book, it took a while to sink in that it wasn't for us. Too labor intensive, too much cooperation from schools...I aint the fussy type. Figured if it was a "cure" or answer to my hatred of Ritalin, we'd find out eventually when Eli Lilly found out they could make money on it. In the trash.

5. Siberian Ginseng root. Look it up if you're curious. Supposed to increase blood flow to the brain. Never seemed to make any difference to me, didn't even try it on Ben. I'm throwing it away because my brother (the internist) took my mother off it when he found it was causing blood in her stool. Nobody needs black stools. Yuck...Trash...

6. beCALM'd--for those who are easily misled. FDA had something to say about website. I am such a guppy. Took one just now...If I become Einstein, I'm digging it out of the trash.

7. GNC chewable vitamin C 300. Gee-awd, this stuff gives new meaning to the word sour...your kids will probably love it, but I'm too old for this. PS--I ain't putting it down...my mother worshipped Linus Pauling, but....

8. New Life Colostrum from Symbiotics. Should be from scavenger.com. Milk that New Zealand pasture fed cows (as opposed to good old Nebraska corn-fed cows) give to their newly born calves. It is the "first milk", supposedly full of goodies. I have to quit using google for answers. I think it was $30 bucks. That must be the amount an idiot will pay for a months worth of goods. "Gee, only $1 a day. That's the least I can do to help my son." But you never think of multiplying it by 20-30 other useless bottles of crap. We could have gone to Disneyland!!!!!

The beCALM'D is starting to give me a stomach ache.....

9. Natures Plus Herbal Active ImmunActin ZINC LOZENGES--Natural Organics Inc.--Maybe I should keep these. Pub-Med shows ADHD kids low in zinc. Besides, they only contain 10 mg Zinc and they taste good. I'll put them on the "maybe shelf" by the computer with the crackers.

10. GNC Biotin 600. I came across a most interesting cause of epilepsy among babies in PubMed. Something like a "biotinadase defiency" which can be totally alleviated by supplementing Biotin. Wasn't our problem, but how cool is that?? Trash...

The computer is starting to make funny sounds, so I'm going to publish and get back to you. This is taking far long than I thought!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a shame. Peptizyde and Zyme Prime worked wonders for my daughter.

Anonymous said...

Teilweise ziemlich verwirrend!

r.b. said...

Manchmal bin ich nicht sicher, warum ich hier bin

Autism Blogs Directory