Thursday, March 30, 2006

What if we didn't treat autism?



This is a question that has always been in my mind since the day I "accepted" the autism diagnosis.

There is no link, because in my googling, I could find no example of untreated autism. Only giant fears exposed.

"You've got to catch it early..."

"Untreated, institutionlization is likely..."

"Half of children untreated for autism are likely to never develop speech..."

Are we being "scared" into treating our children?

The day after I "accepted" Ben's diagnosis...I grew to hate him, in some ways. Everything that I saw as indicative of his "autistic tendencies" I attempted to rid him of by superior intellect. I'm not kidding when I say the day before I loved everything about this little buddha. The day of, it's like I went on a religious crusade. Ben was the very same kid he was the day before. I can't imagine that my anxiety and zealousness didn't affect his self esteem. Looking at someone's life under a microscope tends to do that.

I guess I'll never know. Maybe he will grow up to be a fine man in spite of me, not because of me.

2 comments:

r.b. said...

What the hell is going on? Now, I google (or should I say use AOL search) and there are 14,000 entries for untreated autism. I wonder where these entries were on this day....

r.b. said...

266000 entries today...kinda makes you think hmmm...must be an epidemic.

We are so easily led.

Autism Blogs Directory