Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Thought Gremlins...

My house is a mess. I am barely keeping up with washing and cooking. Forget about cleaning...

And then there they are again.

The thought Gremlins.

"GET IT DOWN BEFORE YOU FORGET!" They nag me constantly, without pity.

I have to come up with a better name than NEW THOUGHT, the beginning of my new "link to" list on the left. The WISE ONES changed my head, but the NEW THOUGHT people changed my heart.

VISIONARIES...

Maybe BRAVE NEW WORLD..."Oh, brave new world that has such people in it!" Shakespeare, from The Tempest and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, where I first heard the expression.

We certainly are at a time of Paradise Engineering...read "Soft Eugenics". Even those simple ones like me who used to pound at heaven's door to heal our children when all along we knew that it was us who needed healing.

As one deaf person put it when asked what it would be like to be in heaven where he could supposedly hear, he said, "In heaven, God signs." I will try to give credit to the author.

Anyhow, back to the thought gremlins, this is important to me to get out here...

When I was young, I remember hearing about those evil Nazi's and saying a prayer to God that I would never be so ignorant to allow myself to be capable of such inhumanity as the Germans were. I kind of lived in fear that I would be fooled into thinking killing was the right thing to do. These were common, christian people. What caused them to become such brutal beasts?

It occurs it was the way they saw others...which led to their barbarism. It is no different today...

Just now, the words come to me..."less than human".


UPDATE: credit where credit is due, thanks to ballastexistenz:

ballastexistenz said...
The full quote is:

On the internet I heard a story about a young girl who attended her local church. She sat right up front so she could see the signer who was there every week to interpret just for her. One week after church an elderly woman from the church stopped to speak to her. The interpreter quickl interpreted the woman's words, "Don't worry dear, one day you will be in heaven and you will be able to hear as well as the rest of us."

The child quickly responded, her signs flying through the air, the interpreter spoke the words to the old woman...

"If it's heaven -- God will sign."

Amen, Sister!!

It's in the introduction to A Little Behind: Articles for challenge, change, and catching up by Dave Hingsburger. I don't know where on the Internet he heard it, but that's at least where I got the story was from that book.

4 comments:

ballastexistenz said...

The full quote is:

On the internet I heard a story about a young girl who attended her local church. She sat right up front so she could see the signer who was there every week to interpret just for her. One week after church an elderly woman from the church stopped to speak to her. The interpreter quickl interpreted the woman's words, "Don't worry dear, one day you will be in heaven and you will be able to hear as well as the rest of us."

The child quickly responded, her signs flying through the air, the interpreter spoke the words to the old woman...

"If it's heaven -- God will sign."

Amen, Sister!!


It's in the introduction to A Little Behind: Articles for challenge, change, and catching up by Dave Hingsburger. I don't know where on the Internet he heard it, but that's at least where I got the story was from that book.

r.b. said...

Thank you.

I should have known that the quote came from your blog. I spent a couple of hours there yesterday, at least. I just couldn't recall...I'm going to have to learn to write these things down!

Thanks for helping me be an honest woman. I wouldn't want to quote a piece like that without giving credit. I loved it because it puts your head in a "whole 'nother place"...and I don't think one can ever go back.

I'm honored by your comment on my blog...

Bonnie Ventura said...

Thanks so much Rose! Brave New World is a classic cautionary tale about the dangers of eugenics; its message is indeed one that we need to consider.

I hope you'll consider making a few posts in the "About Our Wonderful Kids" section of Aspergian Pride about Ben and his interests and activities! It's been pretty quiet on the forum lately, and I'd like to get more parents involved.

r.b. said...

Bonnie:
I also feel as though I am venturing into a brave new world, and I am seeing as a child does before he is told what to see...It's quite powerful, and a little addicting.

I have meant to get back to your blog, and to add to the blogroll here. Not enough time in the day to do all I want to do!

Autism Blogs Directory