Sunday, May 07, 2006

And it's only the giving that makes you...

What you are... (Wond'ring Aloud by Jethro Tull)

My son Benjamin can talk to me, tell me his wants and needs. Some days I even get a low-down on what happened at school.

When he was 5, I wasn't sure he would ever carry on a conversation with me. I wasn't sure if he would "digress", and lose all language.

When I look back upon our lives, I relive with pleasure those times I got outside my fears and saw the boy.

When we wrap ourselves up in a flag of fear, valiantly trying to see ourselves as our childrens saviors... well, we can't do it now...maybe never... as THERE IS NO CURE FOR AUTISM. Not now, probably not ever. You can do everything your little heart or pocketbook can do, and your child will still be autistic.

My child is.

"Perfect love drives out all fear."

Do we live bound up in fear for our chidren's future, or do we allow them the power of a sound mind, the mind God gave them?

I don't know...probably ain't making a lick of sense to anybody out there.

Good luck to you who are on the journey.

Hope you wise up sooner than I did. Your baby's gonna be gone, and you'll never have learned how to love him for what he is.

And that's much sadder than having an autistic child, anyday!

6 comments:

Brett said...

r.b., it makes perfect sense to me.

Brett
Autism for Parents

r.b. said...

Thanks!

supposedly susan said...

Unrelated to this post, but I had no other way to contact you and was reluctant to sideline her original post. Hope you'll pardon the intrusion.

As posted at Autism Diva:
"Curing" is kind of like using a sharp knife to whittle the square pegs down, I guess, which would be okay if they were wooden and not human beings. The scar tissue gets kinda messy."

The scar tissue gets kinda messy.

Boy, I'd say.
Thanks for the comment. It made me smile.

r.b. said...

Isn't that funny? I have always seen even a literal sqaure peg trying to fit in a round hole.

How the heck else ya gonna get it in there?? No wonder Ben called school "torture", eh?

r.b. said...

sqaure..that's a new kind of peg...or maybe it's even better as that's the way Ben spells...wonder where he gets it?

Kristina Chew said...

Perfect love indeed helps us to handle any fear, and then some!

Autism Blogs Directory