Thursday, May 11, 2006

Really Random Thoughts...

On the MSM search engine,"gettingthetruthout" had 266 "hits", and "gettingthewordout" had 235.

On AOL,truth had 152, although the other day, it had over 500 hits. Word had 91 hits, although the other day it was over 100.

On Google, truth had 544. Word had 344.

Truth wins out.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Ballexistenz
does not want to be put on a pedestal. It's not really like that. In my mind, she "teaches". It's more she is given a place of respect, as a good teacher is. She brings her experience into the conversation, which previously was not a part of the "story of autism", to the degree it makes this wonderful time to be alive! Like being a part of those people who began the Civil Rights Era...and I hope people don't think I am being facitious. Among the blacks who were treated kindly, I just can't imagine that there was a degree of paternalism,ie, "we know what's best for you" and "we'll take care of you".

A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE, EH?

***********************************************************************

Lack of social skills.......

I have been on the web since 1999, scared to death to start my first entry into a forum. Rightfully so, as for some reason, I always ended up in a fight with someone. I guess my thoughts were not worth validating. Or maybe I was missing out on some social protocol. Or maybe I just was a nasty person. So many possibilities.
But I always felt like I had to be "accepted" before I could be believed or even considered. I guess I just jumped right in, when I should have kissed up.

I have always been a poor kiss up. (Kiss up: give another person who is believed to be higher on the social ladder a GOOD FEELING about you. Say how wonderful they are, how happy you are to be under them...)

But things were different with this blog.

I started the blog first. I think it was before I saw 'gettingthetruthout'.
Anyhow, I had ownership of my thoughts, and I really wrote it for my self.

Then, I got curious about other blog posts. I saw the autism-hub and actually had written an email to be invited in. But something stopped me. Something told me, wait to be asked. I wrote a comment on somebody's blog, I'm thinking it was Aspergerian Pride, but I'm not sure. Maybe it was Autism Diva, whose posts I had come across many times in the past for some reason. Anyhow, Aspergerian Pride invited me to be a link on her blog. Within a short time, Autism-hub also invited me to be a part of his blog.

Weird.

I was socially accepted! FOR THE FIRST TIME!

###########################################################################


I am trying to listen to Autism Podcast. It is near impossible for me to write this post and listen to the podcast. This is the third try. I hope I can catch the one sentence that keeps grabbing my attention.

In it the teacher, Nicole Sparapani (SLP-CCC), talks about how she teaches "social skills" to her kids. She uses pictures, colors, visualization, role-playing, comic strip conversations, drawing. Forgive my attempts to put into writing what she said.

She says, of giving visual representations of skills..."It works, it like a magic thing...overwhelmingly positive...fun", "visual reminders" and "generalization" and "literal".

To her credit is her understanding:

"Another point is, there are so many things we take for granted that we just learned along the way, and when I sat down a while back and started doing these social groups I was amazed at the small things that the kids don't know, and you know it's all these little "catch-ems" (?) and these little things that are happening and hitting and biting and anything that might have happened, it's just because of a lack of understanding around what other people might think or what they are supposed to do..." She notes that "visual learners" don't learn the same way others do. She says something like, if you can find the key to understanding their language, you can end most, but not all, negative behaviors. The host, Michael, makes a comparison to relationships when divorce happens, where people don't quite communicate.

That's just a teaser,...here's the "piece de resistance"...

"It's like going to another country, and not understanding their culture at all, and trying to make a living...If you don't have an understanding of the way you are supposed to interact with these people, or even the language they speak, I mean, what does that leave you with? I mean, they're just very frustrated little minds...I'd probably want to hide in the corner if I didn't know how to communicate with everybody..."

I remember when I tried to tell Ben's teachers that language was a second language to him. He was constantly trying to visualize what they were saying, and that takes time. They say if a person learns a second language after a certain time in their lives, they NEVER learn to "think" in that language, that they spend the rest of their lives re-interpreting what was said into their native tongue. With all of this going on, who has time to work out the subleties and nuances???

1 comment:

Bonnie Ventura said...

Hi Rose! You're absolutely right that speech can be like a second language. My "first language" is written words, and I always have a subconscious translation process going on when I have a conversation. And I think the autistic monotone voice is similar to speaking with an accent.

You shouldn't worry about rude people on forums or take their behavior personally. Many forums are full of trolls and bullies who like nothing better than to get a newbie upset. They regularly pick fights just for the fun of it. You're certainly not under any social obligation to kiss up to people like that!

Autism Blogs Directory