Thursday, July 20, 2006

PBS-positive behavioral support

Conney Dahn is a Special Educator in Florida who received the teacher of the year in Florida for 2007. I read just a tiny blurb where she mentioned she expected good behavior of all her students. She said they were responsible to themselves, ideally, or something like that.

I thought "What the heck is she talking about?" I looked for her email to ask, and then to her school. In tripping around the link, I saw where her school uses PBS. This link will give more info about it, at a teacher's level. What it amounts to is an online class.

It's one of those things that I think you have to take what you need and leave the rest. I like that it looks for patterns of misbehavior, and reasons for it. It asks teachers to accommodate student needs. It helps the students to learn self management skills , and it rewards positive (I did not say "good") behavior!

3 comments:

Jannalou said...

I don't know much about PBS, but it's had good reviews here and there from people I respect.

Sounds a lot like what I try to do with the kids I still work with (though I'm doing respite mostly, it's still got some supportive aspects to it).

Larry said...

My wife and I have ten kids. My wife home schools them. This has always worked fine except that my one son has always been hard to motivate and very difficult to keep on task. He is now a teeager and this seems worse. He can sit and stare at his assignments for hours(days) without attempting to complete them. Could PBS be of help ? He is inteligent but he jst doesn't perform.

r.b. said...

Larry:
I don't know that much about it (PBS). It was just was an interesting idea. Now that I am in teaching, I've found that my mind just doesn't go there...what is most important is developing a relationship with the child. I think that is the teacher's first duty. It's pretty hard to do, but more effective in the long run.

I don't know much about your son. I can only guess. He reminds me a little of my son. We used to work on homework for 4 hours a night, and most of that time was in a battle of wills. He almost always won. I was worn out and considering home schooling myself.

Autism Blogs Directory