Sunday, July 23, 2006

Two weeks to the classroom/Discrete Trial Trainer

The creator of the discrete trial trainer is a father of an autistic child. I thought, initially it was a form of behaviorism when I saw the booth at a Family Connections (for parents of children with various disabilities)Seminar. I scurried past the table, hoping to avoid any eye contact that might drag me in.

Later, out of curiousity, I sent for the 30 day trial version, which I opened up today.
To my surprise, the DTT comes from Columbia, South Carolina...'jes like the worst welfare disaster in history!

For $10 for a home copy, or free to school...you can try it out. It is for children who are developmentally 2 to 9 years old. It teaches a variety of content, and I tested it with Ben who still has trouble with multiplication/division, which I chose to cover with patterns, ie, the 2 family is 2,4,6,8,10...and the 7 is 7,14,21,28...etc. His "reward" which was age related, was a picture of a jet plane taking off...although a Harley would have meant more to him!

The child interacts only with the computer, which calls him by name and asks questions which he answers. The answers given can then be broken down into the time it took to answer, which ones were correct, etc., etc., in the assessment aspect of the DTT which is relatively new.

I KNOW I can use it in my classroom. Some kids do better on computers, as they are fair and don't belittle, if it is a learning process they have had a lot of trouble with. It is for kids with LD, Autism, MD, even the severely disabled can adapt their switches to answer independently.


I've cut and pasted a page that goes into a little detail:


About Us

Accelerations Educational Software (AES) was founded to create effective & affordable software especially for children with autism and other learning disabilities. In particular our software is designed for individuals that need virtual one-on-one instruction. We incorporate methods from behavioral psychology so that these individuals can usually learn to use the product independently. We also use universal design principles to allow a wide range of students to benefit from our products thereby increasing the value to customers. Wide use of the software allows us to lower the cost to users.

Our target students need a lot of help so we work to create lots of content in our program and yet sell this to customers for an affordable price. Our software is truly worth much more than we charge but we do not want price to be an obstacle in helping especially those individuals with autism and other learning disabilities.

We incorporate feedback from behavioral psychologists, autism & ABA professionals, academics, teachers, speech & language pathologists, researchers, other professionals, and parents to create effective software for even very low functioning individuals.

The founder, Karl Smith, is a father of a child with autism, an engineer, and a software developer. He formed AES to focus on creating needed software and help make a difference for his son and others with learning disabilities.

Sorry, but my current obsession is teaching.

2 comments:

María Luján said...

Hi r. b.
Thank you very much for the information. My son is 5 y old and hyperlexic therefore I share with you the "obsession" with teaching tools adequate for him, now.
BTW, are you interested in some weblinks I found in english, very interesting? As you know, my first language is in spanish, but I have also found very interesting info in english (perhaps you already have it). Do you want to e-mail me?
Please let me know
María Luján

Kristina Chew said...

Looks interesting---DTT being a method Charlie is familiar with. Though he'd prefer a picture of an ocean wave to the jet plane!

Autism Blogs Directory