Sunday, October 08, 2006

Though Much Is Taken, Much Abides...

Though much is taken, much abides...from Tennyson's Ulysses is quoted in part, remniscent of Ballastexistenz's post I quoted yesterday. I hope she will forgive my brazenness, I'm sure it's not "proper netiquette"...
...

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.



At the time, all I had come across were the words

Though much is taken, much abides


I felt it fit my own "insanity" according to the "science" (is all science subjective?) of Psychiatry, and gave me the grace to love that bit of myself that remained untarnished by the brazen egos of others.

And life goes on...

4 comments:

Mum is Thinking said...

Thank you for posting this Rose. I agree, we should all seek and nuture that part "untarnished by the brazen egos of others." That was well said.

I need this right now for many reasons; birthday coming up, physically run down, emotionally drained by things that have nothing to do with autism, and more.

And still, "...though much is taken, much abides."

This will be my mantra today. Thank you for sharing it.

r.b. said...

Your welcome, mum...

Those words held me through my "blue" period, where I struggled for mental health. I set my heart on becoming an artist/poet (in a small Kansas town where the only thing to do was go to the football game on Friday nights...)

Nobody understood me at the time, but many still keep in contact twenty years later...strange birds don't fly into town that much, I guess.

As gifted an artist as you are, you know that it isn't easy to break into that field. For ten years I tried...but nothing ever came of it. It was, however, a GREAT way to pass the time and meet cool people!

Mum is Thinking said...

I lived in Kansas for a short time. My main memory of it was the sound of the wind and train whistles. It can be a bleak.

I've never tried to break into the field. I didn't paint or draw anything for almost 20 years...when I realised I couldn't go to school to study art something inside me shriveled up and I just couldn't do it anymore. Bitter pill, that one.

I only started painting again a couple of years ago. I only do it for myself, and I'm not unhappy about that. In fact, I've started to see it as a blessing in a weird twisted way.

The really quote is very good for us both, I think.

Mum is Thinking said...

Oh nuts. I need to proof read before submitting. Take out the "a" in "It can be a bleak." Take out the "really" in the last sentence.

Autism Blogs Directory