Thursday, August 14, 2008

Amazing Ben

I am very excited about something that is coming up. We decided it wasn't worth it to spend 2 or 3 thousand dollars to drive Ben to school. (I know they were supposed to pay for it...they didn't and we let them get away with it.) I didn't like the idea of him being labeled "emotionally disturbed" when we all know he's just wired different, kind of like our "poor" ADHD super-hero in the Olympics, Phelps. Ben barely passed last year, and there's no doubt we would be getting back to spending 2 or 3 hours on homework, most of it busywork. Plus that, Joel and I both used to love learning, and Ben is a natural at it if you cut him slack. I see only good in him, though.

I had a child I taught in Chapter I, for special help in reading and math. "Fast Eddie" couldn't spell, write, or memorize basic math facts. He was the most brilliant student I ever had. I told his mother I would be proud to have a son like him. From my mouth to God's ears..........Finally, a teacher in high school recognized it. Eddie's semester test in Biology was this one question: "Tell me what you've learned so far this year." God bless Mr. Artez!

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I think I am a good teacher. I meet the kids exactly where they are, and give credit for their ability to rise above their weaknesses, and I'm always looking for their gifts. I'm a bit of a simple lady, but I know I have to give as much as I ask. I don't have a problem with calculators, oral tests, taking dictation, or anything else that will help. Social Skills? Maybe the kids that are calling Ben a "retard" need them more than he does.
I think he will catch up in time. Whatever it takes to get by. Mostly, I hope he is happy.

When Ben was three years old I was scared to death he would lose his language. He never spoke anything that wasn't scripted until the 4th grade. He has risen so far and above anything I worried about for the first 10 years. I don't worry any more. He is amazing. I am so blessed beyond words!

1 comment:

therextras said...

Hi, RB,
So I want to know what you have in the offing that eliminates the $2-3K-cost of transportation - ? Home schooling? Different placement? Inquiring minds want to know!
Barbara

Autism Blogs Directory