Thursday, August 21, 2008

Homeschooling, day 1


Ben has 33 more minutes to go in Geography 9, his first class. He has to read pages 2-13. We joined a very good homeschooling group, and though it is religious in nature, we are not going there. It is state accredited, has very strict standards (ie, all classes much teach to state standards), and although it uses Bob Jones University Press crafted books, they are made here in South Carolina and are immediately acceptable. If you just skip the evangelizing, they are no different from many other books typically used in our schools. I also got most of them for less than half price on ebay. The cost for joining the group was about $300, and they make sure you are kosher. They also offer help figuring out your program, but with both of us being experienced teachers...they only offered a couple suggestions. I can see where this might be very overwhelming to go into blind. Teachers really do have a lot of stuff to do to assure accountability.

Ben has 24 more minutes to read.

We are teaching 9th grade Algebra I, Geography, P.E. (dad was a coach), French I, Health (1/2 credit), English I, and Physical Science, for a total of 6.5 credits. He must have 24 credits to graduate from High School to be accepted in college, with 2 years of Foriegn language, from my recollection. He already has 1/2 credit from a typing class in Middle School. So, at the end of this year, he will have 7 credits under his belt. Woo-hoo!

I know I am boring the hell out of y'all, but this is SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO different for me, and kind of exciting!

Ben has 18 more minutes.

The picture above is the only one I could find of the old bat that's teaching him, looking teacherly.

Ben has 12 more minutes.

I think I'm gonna like this!

3 comments:

CS said...

Have you written about your decision to homeschool? I'd be interested.

mommy~dearest said...

Not boring at all! I would love to homeschool Jaysen, but
A) I have to work full time,
and B) I don't know if he could differentiate Mom/Teacher.
He has problems with "overlapping categories". Have you run into any of this?

r.b. said...

I think it would be VERY hard to work and homeschool...I had a friend who did it because she felt she had to. I NEVER wanted to homeschool before now. It was just a funny mix of circumstances that all came together at once.

Autism Blogs Directory