Saturday, August 23, 2008

Teaching in pictures...why I'm home schooling 2





Ben has been given a label of PDD, Educational Autism, PDD-NOS, Aspergers, ADHD, and the newest one, ED (emotionally disemboweled, er disturbed)...he shows signs of dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and dysentery (?). He went to speech for 6 years, OT for 6, and the Resource Room for 9.





Now, I'm not saying that I despise the public schools at all. Ben found them torture in the second grade, his words (his first apparent opinion of school), but many people have been so good and loving to him...there's just no way I can put blame for anything on the public schools. They did a remarkable job, and I wish I could write a big thank you to all his teachers, who almost always went above and beyond the call of duty. I know many of them hold Ben dearly in their hearts. And we'll never forget all that they have given. I'm crying now just thinking of it...something I don't do often.



It just snowballed, our decision. It started with wondering how we were going to cough up the $2000-$3000 for gas this year, since I had quit my job in February. You know, this summer when oil was at $150 or so a barrel? (Too much information, I know...) His new school was going to be even farther away than last year. I know he has "short bus" rights, but he had never taken the bus, or any bus, since preschool.

That was the beginning.

My husband said,
"Why don't you homeschool him?." You're not doing anything."

3 comments:

Casdok said...

What a lovely letter from Ben.

r.b. said...

Thanks Casdok, and thanks for introducing me to Mrs. C!

mommy~dearest said...

Ohmigosh, I found Ben's letter to be so touching. Absolutely lovely.

Autism Blogs Directory