Monday, May 09, 2011

Been there, done that

http://www.iamlearningdisabled.com/


See this guy?  I know of him from my trips to a big blog.  He's really funny and kind.  His mom started a school for him, and kids like him, that still is in operation.  He is a statistician. He has his doctorate.  He is married, and has 2 children.(I'm pretty sure 2 kids.)  He has a Non-verbal Learning Disability. He has a son who also has some troubles.

Now, I don't mind labels when they don't imply mental illness.   Ben is Dyscalculia, and Dysgraphic, which makes it hard for him to memorize his math tables and write.  He is not just being lazy.  Weird, but he is gifted in math.  Go figure.  He has Dyspraxia, which makes it hard to use all his muscles together...he's kinda clumsy, like his mama.  I don't mind people giving reasons why some things are extra hard for them.  You teach a child the way they learn.  If the public school doesn't do it, you do it at home.  Your kid might grow up to be a doctor, like Peter, but he's got to have a base to grow on.

Peter wrote quite a good story about his differences, his "disabilities".  He also will go on (at length) about his abilities. (I kid.) I don't mean to be unkind, but if you've made it this far, you dang well better click on this link and read his story.   http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2333808/abled_and_disabled.html?cat=72

Interesting, huh?  Abled and disabled.  Both---not just disabled.

That's the way I feel about my son.  He has "issues" beyond his control that are gonna make it a little bit harder for him to make it.  But he will make it.  I have no doubt.  I believe in him.  Besides, he reminds me so much of an old friend who used to have so much trouble in school...repeated 2 grades.  Never went to college.  A millionaire. 

It could happen.

I'm sure when Peter went to public school in his younger years he was seen as disabled.  Only.  I guess they couldn't teach him the way he learned.

Teachers are the next best thing to mothers. But mama's know their children.



2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom said...

This guy reminds me so much of Emperor. He's so smart, but things like understanding what to do with a menu or respecting borders (going behind shop counters) simply do NOT click with him. Am concerned about his well-being later. :(

r.b. said...

Honey, he is the sweetest person you'll ever know. I hope Emperor ends up just like him!

Autism Blogs Directory